Evidence that was obscured, ignored, withheld or destroyed
- The tire tracks at Fielding Drive drove right up to where Nancy's
body was found. The tracks didn't match the Cooper's vehicles but
police never bothered to cast them to try to identify the make/model of
- Footprints were found inches from the body but the police failed to
cast them or take detailed photographs.
- A cigarette butt was found adjacent to the tire tracks but police
didn't test it for DNA evidence until weeks before the trial (almost 3
- Wiring found near the body was also not tested until weeks before
- The insect larvae were improperly handled as police put them in a
locker for two weeks. By the time they were tested few live specimens
- The Cary police neglected to interview Bella Cooper (age 4 ½ at the
time) even though the officer testified (outside the jury's presence)
that Clea Morwick reported that Bella saw her mother that morning in
black shorts and a white t-shirt. Numerous other witnesses contacted
Cary police after seeing a jogger that morning with the exact same
description that Bella gave, but were ignored for three full
- The Cary police neglected to subpoena Google for the cookie records
on Brad's laptop computer, even though the FBI suggested it.
- The Cary police waited until the expiration of the Google Privacy
Policy to turn the computer over to the defense team. The Google cookie
records could have proven who did the actual search of Fielding Drive on
- Nancy Cooper's Blackberry phone could have contained exculpatory
evidence but we will never know because Detective Young wiped all data
from it and destroyed the SIM card. This occurred by entering an
incorrect code 10 times (x2); once for the SIM card and again for the
phone itself. Warnings were displayed that further action would wipe
all data but he proceeded anyway. The defense attorneys weren't
notified of the cell phone data wipe until 9 months later, when it was
too late to retrieve the detailed, forensic level records from AT&T.
They could have contained text messages, Facebook information, cell
phone tower data and more.